[Talk-us] Common names of highways do not match road signs.

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Sun Jul 10 00:59:55 UTC 2016

Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> writes:

> On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 9:32 PM, Kevin Morgan <morgankevinj at fastmail.fm>
> wrote:
>
>> It is confusing to use open street maps in my area(Central Ohio) for
>> driving directions since the "common names" of high ways do not match
>> road signs. The common names are used by open map chest for road names.
>> For example when turning on to State Route 315 with OpenMapChest loaded
>> on my GPS I am directed to turn on to Olentangy Freeway. However the
>> tiger name on open street maps is State route 315. Would it make more
>> sense to configure driving maps to use tiger names for driving
>> directions,  change commons names to include the state route number or
>> interstate number, or add state route number/ interstate number as a
>> different tag?
>>

> ref=* isn't name=*, don't tag for the renderer.  I'd go with the official
> name for name=*.  If you're inclined to do something like, name=State Route
> 315, you really want ref=OH 315.   Not all highways with refs will have
> names, not all highways with names have refs.  In particularly remote
> areas, it's not uncommon for a road to not have a name or a ref.
> Conversely, there's highways that might have eight or nine refs and
> multiple names.

I agree.   Around me, there are roads that have both a name and a ref.
Some of them are locally called by one, and some by the other, and there
is no real pattern.

When converting to garmin format with mkgmap, and I think with osmand, I
will tend to hear both the name and the ref.  That's a big lengthy, but
there's no real pattern on which to leave out.  Except perhaps if there
is a new tag that says whether locals call it by name or ref.  I made
garmin osm data for someone to upgrade them from old proprietary data,
and they commented out the dual name/ref was really helpful compared to
how the proprietary data only had one.

So I think Kevin should look at the mkgmap rules and end up with a name
in garmin format that is basically name+ref.  Or he can make it be just
ref, if that works for him.

But definitely don't adjust the OSM database for this.