[Talk-us] [Imports] Kansas City addresses from maps.kcmo.org

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Fri Jul 29 14:04:00 UTC 2016

Clifford Snow <clifford at snowandsnow.us> writes:

> On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 12:02 PM, teslas_moustache <
> teslas_moustache at riseup.net> wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure if property lines and ownership are useful. And I don't
>> think that building outlines are included, so I may need to continue
>> with drawing rectangles for a while. But hey, addresses!
>
> While property lines don't belong in OSM, they can be useful. Having parcel
> boundaries can be useful to figure out the address of a building.
> Especially if you can get access to the property, i.e. the owner has no
> trespassing signs posted. Other tools such as QGIS and PostGIS come in
> handy for getting your data ready for import.

Two non-import thoughts:

  In Mass we have a tiled raster datalayer rendered from the vector
  parcels database.  This is transparent with white lines for lot lines
  and address/parcel.  It's highly useful for figuring out addresses and
  also adjusting geometry of open space, parks, etc. when making landuse
  polygons.  Code (by Jason Remillard, not me) is at:
  https://github.com/jremillard/osm_massgis_tiles

  Even though the current mostly consensus is that property lines don't
  belong in OSM, they are really useful in making maps.  So if you can
  produce and host an osm-format file with property lines (I use
  boundary=parcel as the tag in my private files), then people can merge
  them with the OSM data to produce e.g. a garmin-format map or a map
  for OSMand, or their own mapnik render.   Perhaps OSMF-US has
  resources to host these files.