[Talk-us] Best practices for dealing with old TIGER tags?

Adam Franco adamfranco at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 15:27:51 UTC 2016

Just some more feedback on the idea of a TIGER rural-residential challenge
based on cleanup I've done throughout much of Vermont:

   - Most of the roads in rural areas should have their highway= changed to
   something other than residential. (well known issue).

   - Surface tags would be GREAT! I've added surface tags to most roads in
   Vermont, but have not quite gotten to all of them yet.

   - At least here in Vermont, "private road" means that the ownership and
   maintenance of the road is the responsibility of the resident[s], not that
   "access=private". We have many private roads due to low densities of
   residences and Towns generally won't take over ownership/maintenance unless
   there are at least 3 residences and the proposal passes a public vote. The
   TIGER import mistakenly tagged many private-roads as "access=private". It
   would be great to remove this tag if it hasn't been added by a person.

If there is any way to help out with this effort I'd love to lend a hand.