[Talk-us] Best practices for dealing with old TIGER tags?

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny+osm at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 21:13:58 UTC 2016

Can someone review for me the 'rural residential' problem?

I haven't done a lot of editing away of TIGER tags, although I've
wanted to - a lot of the areas where I've been mapping have had
virtually no TIGER review whatsoever and the garish overlays in JOSM
are annoying. Some of the areas I work on are densely wooded, and the
roads aren't always traceable on aerial photos, so MapRoulette won't
help, but I do gather GPS tracks and check the alignment. A lot of the
TIGER roads are simply hallucinations - roads in places where no road
could exist or ever have existed. The best I ever found went right up
the fall line of a 2000 foot cliff. I think whoever digitized for
TIGER might have had a particular obsolete [1903] USGS topo that
showed a dashed line for a climbing route that once existed in there.
I delete hallucinatory highways..

I haven't worried much about the 'highway=' classification, except
that I downgrade to 'track' if it looks as if I'd want a high-profile
vehicle in anything but the best weather, or to 'path' if you're not
allowed to drive on it.

I suppose that I'm breaking some rule that will screw up someone's
routing?  If so, I'm sorry. Chalk it up to ignorance, and well, I
haven't done very many of these. (I mostly edit other things than
TIGER cleanup.) What should I be looking for with 'residential', and
what is the alternative tagging if I don't find it?