[Talk-us] How to get open street maps

David Niklas doark at mail.com
Mon Jun 6 14:20:58 UTC 2016

Just to clarify (I'm going to ask on https://help.openstreetmap.org/).
This also applies to some extent to Andy's reply too.

On Sun, 5 Jun 2016 09:16:31 <wolfgang at lyxys.ka.sub.org> wrote:
> * David Niklas <doark at mail.com> [160605 05:28]:
> > On Fri, 3 Jun 2016 22:58:01 +0200
> > Wolfgang Zenker <wolfgang at lyxys.ka.sub.org> wrote:
> >> * David Niklas <doark at mail.com> [160603 22:47]:
> > [..]
>
> >> it would help if you specify more clearly what you are looking for.
> >> The problem is that in OSM there is nothing like "the" maps. There
> >> are literally hundreds of very different maps generated from OSM
> >> data and dozends of apps navigating on that data, so you need to
> >> tell us what specific maps or apps you are talking about.
> >> [..]
>
> > I got my idea of what "the" maps are from
> > https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Planet.osm
> > among which, is the said server.
> > I am trying to get the planet-XXXX.osm.bz2 and planet-XXXX.osm.pbf
> > files. I wanted to print out maps on my local printer. Being one of
> > those poor hackers out in the middle of no-where, I can't rely on an
> > internet based js or similar map utils.
>
> I see; you might have misunderstood that page. First,
> planet-XXXX.osm.bz2 and planet-XXXX.osm.pbf contain the same data, just
> in different formats, so you would download only one of them.
I knew that, I read that not all programs accept the same data format,
so I am trying to get both and then am going to test the tools to see
what works.

> Second,
> these files don't contain any maps at all, but a dump of the database
> with the raw geodata that is used to create maps from it. Importing
> this dump in a database alone will take several days or weeks dpending
> on how powerful your machine is, and then you would use a program like
> Maknik to generate printable maps from that data (which will take a
> long time as well if you want to generate these maps for the whole
> planet).
I had hoped to cut the US country out of that prior to processing.
Failing that, I could use my machine to import the whole data. My desktop
machine is the 1090T AMD processsor (6 core), it's bottlenecked by IO to
my HDs which are 5400 RPM 2TiB (Hard, not SSD), each in a RAID 5 array.

> I suggest you start with an extract covering a small area (like
> the country of Luxemburg, which is about the size of a rural county
> in the US) to try out the toolchain used to create map images (= render
> map tiles) from the database, and after you got that running use the
> extracts for your area of interest.
>
> Wolfgang
That's a good idea with one drawback, if the roads change in the US I
will have to download my region again, instead of using rsync. Beings
that I live in a rural area without internet, if I can save bandwidth
that's a good thing.

I have the said data (by some miracle), it's just that it's not correct,
perhaps my disk has hiccuped I timed the download working with the
understanding that the other computers were syncing in UTC time, which
obviously was an incorrect assumption.

On Sat, 4 Jun 2016 16:14:50 <ajt1047 at gmail.com> wrote:
> However if you really do want "maps" rather than "data", then where to
> go depends on what you want maps for.  For example, various maps that
> are suitable for a Garmin handheld or satnav are available (such as
> http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ , see
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Download ), but
> they won't work with (say) MAPS.ME or OsmAnd on a phone.
I wanted to print them. I have no GPS tool and don't want one (unless I
can find an open source one), they tend to have some "interesting"
directions for travel.

Thanks, David