[Talk-us] Best practices for dealing with old TIGER tags?

Dion Dock dion_dock at comcast.net
Thu Jun 9 04:35:29 UTC 2016

I can guarantee I haven’t been on those roads.  :)  I’d call the former highway=tertiary because it has the centerline.  No centerline, I’d call it residential.

What I meant by “rural residential roads” looks a lot like http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/47.89747/-118.10358.  Lost in the woods rural.

Gravel roads are tricky.  I’d probably say highway=residential, surface=gravel.  The wiki is more specific about highway=track for “agricultural or forest”; it didn’t say that in the past.  I’d like to see highway=gravel at the top level, since they’re s usually avoided by bicycles and motorcycles, but it’s too late for that now.

Again, it seems like the US is trying to take an official designation from elsewhere and apply it to our country.  Plus, since almost all of the TIGER import is highway=residential, changing roads to highway=unclassified is a monumental task.

-Dion