[Talk-us] WikiProject US Bicycle Route System; Spring 2016 AASHTO approvals

OSM Volunteer stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Fri Jun 10 20:12:25 UTC 2016

Hello fellow bicycle map enthusiasts!

I am pleased to relay that AASHTO has approved all pending USBRs from each state DOT which submitted ballots for Spring 2016.

Please see our wiki at https://wiki.osm.org/wiki/WikiProject_U.S._Bicycle_Route_System for the latest status.  What remains to be added to OSM are a few hundred miles of route, less than 5% of the whole USBRS (we are  >95% complete!):

USBR 7 in Connecticut (new route, lightly seeded in the south),
USBR 7 in Massachusetts (new route, lightly seeded in the south),
USBR 7 in Vermont (from Autumn 2015, about 30% done:  from Canada south to Burlington),
USBR 176 in Virginia (new route, belt between USBR 76 and USBR 1, no relation yet)
USBR 621 in Georgia (new route, additional spur off of USBR 21, no relation yet)

An exciting development is that the “emerging" West New England Greenway (WNEG) is now in OSM as a third USA quasi-national bicycle route, in addition to the many-thousands-of-miles each East Coast Greenway and Mississippi River Trail.  Even though WNEG is “only” 380 miles long (WNEG is identical to USBR 7 in the three states noted above), it connects Canada via Montreal and Quebec's Route Verte all the way to the Atlantic Ocean at the East Coast Greenway in southern Connecticut, elevating WNEG to “quasi-national” status.  But while the relations and super-relations for USBR 7 and WNEG are “roughed in” to OSM, we have only 30% completion in Vermont, and just tiny seeds in Massachusetts and Connecticut.  Especially if you are local, and/or a bicycle enthusiast, please help OSM complete these national bicycle routes, now fully approved by AASHTO!

USBR 10 in Idaho is missing some new bicycle infrastructure around Sandpoint and Ponderay/Kootenai.  I myself am working with Idaho Transportation Department and Adventure Cycling Association to complete the minor gaps in this route.

But if YOU want to add new national bicycle route(s) to OSM, either segments of USBR 7 / West New England Greenway, or the new spurs in Virginia or Georgia, please, “just read our wiki and GO!”

Regards,
SteveA
WikiProject USBRS coordinator