[Talk-us] Proposed import cleanup: NYSDEClands

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny+osm at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 00:24:05 UTC 2016

Now that I'm done with the NYC DEP Watershed Recreation Areas import,
I've got some bandwidth to spend on this cleanup again.

MECHANICAL EDITING

I've come to the conclusion that a 'mechanical edit' is appropriate
only in the sense that I will have a program providing me with
suggested geometry and tags. I'll need to go through all the edits
individually, because very few of the areas have actually survived
unchanged from the original import. Most of the changes appear to have
been from what Frederik Ramm referred to as 'drive-by mapping' -
armchair mappers silencing warnings from automated tools - but they
still need to be vetted individually. Moreover, there are various
weird tagging inconsistencies, such as conflicting tags between ways
in a relation, or between the ways and the relation itself.

PROTECTED_AREA

I'm going to maintain the protected_area tagging close to what I
specified below, except that 'Wild Forest,' 'Detached Parcel' and
'Unclassified' will all be upgraded to protect_class=1b. The only
significant differences between these and Wilderness is that slightly
more intensive use is allowed in Wild Forests. Nevertheless, it is
expected that those who enter the Wild Forests will have the skills
and equipment to operate on their own. About the only concessions that
they will find are hardened trail surfaces (NOT paved - but with more
erosion prevention than would be typical in Wilderness), the
occasional marked campsite (with no amenities other than brush
clearance and possibly a privy) and, in rare and exceptional cases,
permission to ride a mountain bike, horse, ATV or snowmobile.

LANDUSE (or leisure=nature_reserve, or landuse=forest, or
natural=wood, or landcover=trees, or what?)

I'm still in a quandary about how to tag the land use, because nothing
makes much sense.

leisure=nature_reserve at least renders, and is consistent with the
actual management - which ls largely, 'protect from encroachment, and
let Nature take her course.' The Wiki suggests that nature_reserve
ought to be used for relatively small areas and that
boundary=national_park might be more appropriate for these large ones.
Since the lands in question are located within the Adirondack and
Catskill parks (which exist as a public and private partnership), and
the outer boundaries of these immense parks are already tagged
'boundary=national_park', having something else designate the specific
land use seems appropriate, and nature_reserve seems as good as
anything, even if the High Peaks Wilderness is, at 832 square
kilometers, small in any sense other than relative to the Adirondack
Park's over 24,000 square kilometers. My inclination is to go with
this tag.

Most of the lands are at present tagged landuse=forest. This appears,
to me, to be incorrect. They are not managed for the production of
forest products. On the contrary, timber harvest is forbidden there in
perpetuity. The big advantage is that it renders with a pretty green
overlay, with trees.

natural=wood or landcover=trees are just plain wrong. There are woods,
fens and bogs, meadows, scrublands, and even some amount of
high-alpine tundra and bare rock. And I'm not about to tag what's
what. I get that information from the National Landcover Dataset when
I want to render a map.

landuse=conservation is formally deprecated.

I fall back on leisure=nature_reserve unless someone screams.

INFORMALITY

Since this is not a new import, and since all changes will be reviewed
(yes, I know it's a big job, but I can take it a few at a time in idle
moments and get it done in weeks to months), I don't plan to go
through an extensive formal review. I'll wikify what I'm doing and run
it by this list again before I start, but I consider this to be more
along the lines of manual editing to clean up a
less-than-ideally-executed import than of a massive mechanical edit to
conduct an import. I'l post again and allow a few days comment before
I start editing in earnest, again, just in case there are screams of
protest.