[Talk-us] Is USBR 11 in Maryland complete/correct in OSM?

OSM Volunteer stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Sun Jun 19 19:02:22 UTC 2016

Hi USBR (11, in this case) data folks:

Kerry, as a reminder, OSM is unable to use data derived from Google Maps, so I had to again follow text-based directions to complete the following.  By way of eliminating my earlier FIXME tags, Elliott’s newer tags of “cycleway:right=shoulder” are quite helpful and truly do disambiguate how one might ride through here (even as OCM does not explicitly render these, as OSM is primarily about correct tagging, not necessarily any particular rendering).

• I added some “forward” role tags to elements in the USBR 11 relation which clarify that the southbound-only portion of the route follow the cloverleaf (between SR 67 and US 340) and onto Keep Tryst Road.

• Kerry’s assertion that the southbound route takes the right hand ramp from the southern end of SR 67 onto US 340 for about 500 feet is a little short:  my JOSM session reports that segment (after the 270-degree “cloverleaf” and up to the right turn onto Keep Tryst Road) is about 1682 feet.

• I slightly modified the final approach on Keep Tryst Road so that instead of its final right turn “hook” instead it cuts through the parking lot, skirting parked cars on the service road (unsigned_ref=180A) to pick up the Appalachian Trail.  This is where the forward role tags end for the southbound-only segment, as N-only and S-only split/join here.

• The northbound-only segment now includes Keep Tryst Road west of the parking lot and about a half-mile (2533 feet) on US 340 back to the “trumpet curve” (exit from US 340) and onto MD 67 starting with the bridge over US 340, again with “forward” role tags as appropriate.

The relation as just entered can be viewed directly with:
http://www.osm.org/relation/4095725#map=16/39.3284/-77.6924&layers=C
where the orange superimposed line shows the new edits/corrections.  However, the usual caveat that this will take a few days (weeks for low zooms) in OpenCycleMap do apply.  In the meantime, the orange line (newly corrected relation) can be compared to the older red USBR route line until the re-rendering is complete, when these will match each other.

If I/we STILL don’t have this right, I sure would like to hear about it!  Thanks to everybody for the joint effort at getting this corrected.

SteveA
California