[Talk-us] NYC DEC Lands reimport

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny+osm at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 03:35:39 UTC 2016

As promised, here are the changesets for the first few uploads.

40311281 High Peaks Wilderness
40311404 West Canada Lake Wilderness
40311525 Ferris Lake Wild Forest
40311653 Five Ponds Wilderness
40311828 Black River Wild Forest
40312224 Wilcox Lake Wild Forest

There is a visual change in that the green infill is gone from these
areas in the renderer. It would be a trivial tagging exercise to put
it back: there are six multipolygons that would have to be tagged.
Nevertheless, it still seems to me that any tag resulting in a green
infill would be tagging for the renderer:

natural=wood would be asserting landcover that does not exist: these
areas have varied landcover: temperate deciduous forest, bog and fen,
beaver meadow, boreal coniferous forest, alpine meadow, bare rock,
open water, etc.
landcover=trees is even worse, see above
landuse=forest is also a lie. These areas are NOT managed for forestry
- quite the contrary, there's a constitutional requirement never to
harvest the trees!

I used leisure=nature_reserve and boundary=protected_area
protect_class=1b for these six areas. The appearance therefore
changes. If you want it to change back, convince me that there's a
consensus that landuse=forest would not be tagging for the renderer.