[Talk-us] Strategy for Naming Parts of a Large Park

Phil! Gold phil_g at pobox.com
Tue Mar 1 17:45:53 UTC 2016

* Elliott Plack <elliott.plack at gmail.com> [2016-03-01 14:49 +0000]:
> [Patapsco Valley State Park] consists of several nine or so areas (2)
> spread out over 30 miles of the Patapsco River valley. Some of the parts
> are contiguous, others not.

The sub-areas also do not have (or do not always have) well-defined
boundaries.  The park itself is well-defined (and already has a
multipolygon border), but most of the sub-areas would either be nodes or
areas whose edges aren't really authoritative.

At the moment, there's a single multipolygon for the entire state park,
tagged leisure=park and boundary=protected_area, protect_class=5.  The
individual areas are generally nodes tagged leisure=park with names like
"Patapsco Valley State Park - McKeldin Area".  The whole park-in-a-park
thing feels a little off to me, but it does get the names rendered on the
default map.  :-/

(Elliott knows all this, but I thought it might be useful information for
the discussion.)

--- --
Join the non sequitur society. We may not make sense but we do like pizza.