[Talk-us] Where to find airport information?

Wolfgang Zenker wolfgang at lyxys.ka.sub.org
Sun Mar 6 17:01:30 UTC 2016

* Clifford Snow <clifford at snowandsnow.us> [160306 16:14]:
> The first example you provided is located in Stillwater County, Montana.
> Stillwater has gis data available, but unfortunately for me requires
> Microsoft Silverlight browser plugin which I am not able to run. I would
> check the county gis database for more information. The website is
> http://www.stillwater.mt.gov/GIS/default.asp

Silverlight is a no-go for me as well, I don't think it even exists
for my operating system.

> There is even someone you could contact. I find most county gis departments
> usually more than willing to help, especially if you ask nice. Even in
> counties without free data, they might be able to provide you with the name
> of the runway.

I will contact them as soon as I'm done with cleaning up TIGER geometries
in the area, because I have a few more questions (e.g. roads that look
a lot like residential roads, but with no name given on TIGER).
Thanks for the contact!

> Have you contacted the user? While it looks like a runway, I'm not certain
> that it is. Although, not sure what else it could be.

Well, the user would be myself in this case, and I added these things
as runways because that is what they look like.

> FWIW - I used to live in Montana and am familiar with parts of the state.

Great, so there are at least a few people in the project familiar
with Montana. I've been there only a few times as a tourist, and I
have been working on cleaning up TIGER geometries for Montana
basically because (almost) no-one else did. My hope is that we
find more mappers if one can start mapping without having to clean
up a lot of broken data first.

Wolfgang