[Talk-us] Boston, MA, USA addr:housenumber Import

Roman Yepishev rye at keypressure.com
Tue Mar 15 16:52:41 UTC 2016

(re-posting to both mailing lists since I failed to subscribe to
imports@ before sending)

Hello OpenStreetMap folks,

TL;DR: import wiki page: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Bos
ton_Street_Address_Management_%28SAM%29_Import

Boston, Massachusetts is relatively well mapped, however the buildings
usually lack addr:housenumber and addr:street tags.

Since the city is not built on a grid-based design, the streets can
wander around making finding the right house with OpenStreetMap a
challenge. City of Boston provides a sizable amount of data via Open
Government initiative. One of the things available freely is a Live
Street Address Management (SAM) dataset[1] that identifies the location
of the buildings on the map. We can use that.

As requested by Guidelines[2], I am writing to imports@ and talk-us@ to
discuss the outlined import procedure for the data. I will be driving
the generation, upload, and validation.

The wiki page contains the data on all the neighborhoods (sans 2 that
for some reason did not create a polygon - I'm investigating that), so
you can load it locally and see what's going to happen. Please do not
upload these changes.

My username is 'ryebread' on OSM, User:Rye on OSM Wiki.

[1]: http://www.cityofboston.gov/open/
[2]: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines

--
Sincerely,