[Talk-us] Caliparks re-tagging paths?

Mikel Maron mikel.maron at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 21:50:55 UTC 2016

I've reached out directly and began conversations with Dan after reading this article. Good to hear from Alan too.
My view on the way forward in this particular situation.
* Decide on reasonable tagging. Agree that some use of "access" seems most appropriate (maybe access=social?)* Get Caliparks rendering recognizing this tagging* Make the switch on OSM from social_path* Discuss how to better represent these on main OSM rendering, and other rendering. They should be rendered, but look different from official trails.
Beyond this, there's a huge opportunity and lots of interesting issues regarding mapping in parks. Imagine a single map of every park in the US, or in the world. There's a lot to get into about how park managers and the public see parks, park data and park maps. Think OSM is the best place to do it!
-Mikel * Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron

    On Thursday, March 24, 2016 5:20 PM, Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at rushpost.com> wrote:

 On Thu, 2016-03-24 at 13:59 -0700, Alan McConchie wrote:
> It's true that the first comments on our changesets came 5 months ago,
> but in our defense, we haven't been tagging any additional social_path
> features since that time. We had always intended to seek input from
> the community to make this tag an officially recognized one, or to
> come up with an alternative solution. We were mindful that we didn't
> want to do a lot of editing before talking to the community, which is
> why we didn't do any further editing. In that sense, please think of
> those 17 features as an experiment to feed into the discussion that
> we're all having now.

I oppose the use of highway=social_path. There are better ways to
accomplish the same thing without breaking existing applications.