[Talk-us] Tagging National Forests

Russell Deffner russdeffner at gmail.com
Wed May 11 12:07:33 UTC 2016

Hi Greg and all,

Sorry, I either need a refund on that Forestry degree or have to call this out as incorrect:

Perhaps the problem here is the multiple roles that the the US Forest Service plays.   Note that that name is from the olden days.  Now the service is know as the National Park Service.

The National Park Service and National Forest Service are too very different things (i.e. branches of government, US Department of Interior versus Department of Agriculture respectively).

I think we need to return to that ‘basic question’ – what is the main ‘service’/function of these services – Protection! The only reason we have National Forests, Parks, etc. is to protect them, not use – although yes, usage is allowed under the various rules/regulations of the particular unit.

=Russ