[Talk-us] Potential data source: New York City watershed recreation lands

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon May 23 07:20:50 UTC 2016

Hi,

On 05/23/2016 05:35 AM, Kevin Kenny wrote:
> One-line summary: I want to import the boundaries of New York City
> watershed recreation areas.

I've read through your proposal and I would like to know if the
boundaries you speak of are observable on the ground. I know there won't
be a line or fence on the ground, but will there at least be signs
whenever a road or path leads into such an area?

If they are not observable then I am strictly against an import. OSM is
about mapping things you see (and things others can verify on the
ground), not importing data from third sources. We do make exceptions to
that rule, especially in cases were an import can provide a building
block for future mapper activity - administrative boundaries are such an
exception. But that does not mean that any and all boundaries that are
somehow "of interest" can or should be imported.

Bye
Frederik