[Talk-us] 'Honorary' street name conflicts with posted name - how to decide

Peter Dobratz peter at dobratz.us
Mon May 23 19:49:57 UTC 2016

I like to confirm street names by checking for POIs along the street.
There's a Great Clips hair salon near there with the following address (see
http://www.greatclips.com/ ):

906 E 900 S
Salt Lake City, UT 84105

I would put the following addr:* tags on that business:
addr:housenumber=906
addr:street=East 900 South
addr:city=Salt Lake City
addr:state=UT
addr:postcode=84105

I may not fully understand the nuances of Salt Lake City addresses, but
generally I like to make whatever is in addr:street match what goes in name
on the road itself.  In this case, I would use:
name=East 900 South
alt_name=Harvey Milk Boulevard

Looking a little to the west of there, there's a Pier 1 Imports (
http://www.pier1.com/ ):

30 West 900 South Salt Lake City, UT 84101-2930

addr:housenumber=30
addr:street=West 900 South
addr:city=Salt Lake City
addr:state=UT
addr:postcode=84101

By that point the road should change to:
name=West 900 South
alt_name=Harvey Milk Boulevard

I generally avoid using the "_1" suffix whenever possible.

Peter