[Talk-us] .... finding areas that are underserved

Elliott Plack elliott.plack at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 23:20:07 UTC 2016

Markus, take a look at the TIGER Battlegrid! It highlights areas where
there have not been a lot of edits made to the original street data import.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/TIGER_Battlegrid

Another fun tool for finding things to fix is Improve OSM.

http://improveosm.org/#background=Bing&map=2.00/0.0/0.0

Both of tools highlight areas of the highest priority, so you're focusing
your energy where it matters most.

Best,

Elliott

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 1:06 AM Mark Wagner <mark+osm at carnildo.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Nov 2016 22:22:06 -0500
> Russ Nelson <nelson at crynwr.com> wrote:
>
> > Markus Fischer writes:
> >  > I am new to this and the area where I live is very well mapped
> >  > (probably due to high density of tech workers). Where do I go to
> >  > start mapping areas that are less well mapped (me aimlessly poking
> >  > at this does not sound like a good approach)?
> >
> > Oh, and you can always do some work in Pennsylvania. Here, let's pick
> > a place at random, Thompson,
> > https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=12/41.8666/-75.5154
> >
> > Look at Willow Street against Bing aerial imagery. It's badly aligned.
> > Look at Main Street. Also badly aligned.
> > Look at the cemetery west of Main. It's not on the map.
> > Jefferson, East Jackson, Water, all badly aligned.
> > Four bodies of water north of the village, all missing.
> > A little creek coming in from the west and going into a mill pond.
> >
> > There's LOTS to do, and you don't need to have ever gone to the
> > place. You can just see it from the air. You can even see where an
> > intersection has traffic lights -- the aerials are that good.
>
> I wouldn't recommend pure armchair mapping as a starting point for
> someone just getting in to OSM.  There are too many "gotchas": to take
> your traffic light example, there are patterns of street lights that
> look similar to traffic lights if you're just judging from the shadows
> they cast.  Or looking at Thompson, you missed the fact that Starrucca
> Creek proceeds to exit the millpond, flow west through Thompson, and
> loop around to the north and east, to join with the Susquehanna River
> about ten miles away.  Or to take an example in my area, most of the
> small bodies of water are seasonal and turn into patches of
> dried mud in the late summer, something you'd never figure out from
> looking at Bing.
>
> I'd recommend starting by simply verifying things in your immediate
> area.  It will give you a feel for how things on the ground match up to
> what you see from the air, and you'll probably find some businesses or
> roads that need updating.
>
> --
> Mark

Elliott Plack