[Talk-us] HOV lane tagging

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Thu Nov 17 20:17:56 UTC 2016

On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 4:59 PM, Jack Burke <burkejf3 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Something about some HOV access tags I've seen have been bothering me.
>
> Some of the interstates through Atlanta have designated HOV-only lanes.
> In looking at the attributes on them, someone has added
> hov:lanes=designated|yes|yes|yes|yes {etc.} to them.
>
> However, after reviewing the wiki for the "designated" tag, it doesn't
> appear to _exclude_ other modes of transport--just using the
> hov:lanes=designated tag on the leftmost lane still implies that non-HOV
> transportation is allowed.  For example, motorcycles are allowed, but
> single-passenger cars are not, but the current tagging doesn't appear to
> prohibit single-passenger cars, if I'm reading the wiki right.
>
> Reading up on the access tag leads me to think that it would be better to
> include access:lanes=no|yes|yes|yes|yes {etc.} to preclude non-HOV
> traffic, as well as add motorcycle:lanes=yes|yes|yes|yes|yes {etc.}
>

> For example, the section of northbound I-75/I-85 under this marker
>
> http://osm.org/go/ZQqq80Lkl-?layers=N&m=
>

> currently has the tag
>
> hov:lanes=designated|yes|yes|yes|yes|yes|yes
>
> Am I correct in thinking that it would be right to add these tags, too:
>
> access:lanes=no|yes|yes|yes|yes|yes|yes
> motorcycle:lanes=yes|yes|yes|yes|yes|yes|yes

Sounds about right.  Though if it's also physically separated by some form
of barrier (Texas seems to strongly favor rows of plastic bollards if not
outright concrete barriers, for example), then mapping it as a separate way
would be more appropriate.  Too lazy to check the aerial imagery to see
what exactly applies here.