[Talk-us] Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest (landuse=forest and US National forests again)

Steven Johnson sejohnson8 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 18:21:08 UTC 2016

> does the landuse=forest assignment make sense on the National Forest
boundary,

No. The boundary indicated USNF ownership, not landuse/landcover.

or should it be on the forested areas within?

Yes, that's a more appropriate use for that tag.

Similar situation exists in the George Washington Natl Forest.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=12/38.8777/-78.4453 The boundaries here
represent the Lee Ranger district (an internal USFS admin boundary) do not
reflect surface ownership. I get why it's so ambiguous, but the boundaries
should reflect ownership on the ground.

Some efforts have made to import US Forest Service data:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/US_Forest_Service_Data#National_Forest_Boundaries
Still much to be done. If there is interest, we should take the discussion
to the OSM-US slack, #imports channel.

-- SEJ
-- twitter: @geomantic
-- skype: sejohnson8

A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely
of jokes. --*Ludwig Wittgenstein*