[Talk-us] Deleting / Closing / Renaming all places in a chain

Elliott Plack elliott.plack at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 21:01:14 UTC 2016

Today, September 6, 2016, all ITT Tech campuses have closed due to a
fallout with the federal government (read more:
https://twitter.com/FOX59/status/773144554438524928 )

On August 19, 2016, Apple Inc. rebranded all of their retail locations (FKA
Apple Store) to simply, "Apple" (read more:
http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/19/12537840/apple-store-rebranding ).
Further, some locations' storefront has no english text at all, just a
pictogram of an apple (the fruit). On their website, the naming convention
seems to be, "Apple [city name or mall name].

Should we launch an automated edit, or some kind of batch process on OSM to
clear the database `name=ITT Tech` (or similar) worldwide? Other online
maps have begun removing ITT Tech locations from their directories. I do
not know of a widely used method of closing a business on OSM other than
deleting it. Personally, I think that collectively, as a community, we can
turn these kind of news stories as a way to keep OSM fresh.

Similarly, should we launch an automated edit to rename all Apple Stores to
[picture of apple] or "Apple". Perhaps it should be `short_name={picture of
apple}`

What are the best practices for closing businesses, and what do you suggest
we do about ITT Tech and Apple?

Best,

Elliott
--