[Talk-us] Deleting / Closing / Renaming all places in a chain

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Sep 7 14:01:38 UTC 2016

Hi,

On 09/07/2016 03:25 PM, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Your comment comes across as bizarre and hostile to the US mapping
> community, as if you think it's horribly broken and proving that
> point is more important than improving the map.

I think there's a misunderstanding here.

I had the same comment when someone in Germany wanted to automatically
remove all "Schlecker" drug stores.

It is neither bizarre nor hostile. Any map in any country has its weak
spots. If a chain restaurant in the US - or in Germany - changes its
name overnight, some areas will be fixed quickly because they have
local mappers who care, and other areas will take half a year or
longer because they lack local mappers who care.

This is an undeniable fact, and it doesn't have anything to do with
whether this is in the US or in Germany or elsewhere on the planet.

To me, *not* running an automated edit means honestly communicating to
the map user where the weaker areas are (and that the map is likely
more reliable in one part of the country than in another). Running an
automated edit hides the weakness but doesn't fix it.

There's no shame in admitting to a weakness in the map; on the
contrary, admitting it is more likely to attract people who will help
fixing it.

And no, I don't think the mapping community in the US is horribly
broken - it is just developing slower than I had hoped, and I see many
attempts to make up for this slow development in ways that ultimately
slow things down even further instead of helping. But this has
absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand; as I said, I've made
the very same recommendation for the very same reasons in other countrie
s.

Bye
Frederik