[Talk-us] Whole-US Garmin Map update - 2016-09-11

OSM Volunteer stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Fri Sep 16 18:29:36 UTC 2016

>   1. Whole-US Garmin Map update - 2016-09-11 (DRTBYK)
>
> From: DRTBYK <drtbyk at gmail.com>
> Subject: [Talk-us] Whole-US Garmin Map update - 2016-09-11
> Date: September 15, 2016 at 7:40:21 AM PDT
> To: talk-us at openstreetmap.org
>

> Given the size of the largest file, it wouldn’t be that much larger to include the rest of Canada and Mexico to create a truly North America version.
>
> Cheers,
> Dan Townsley

I agree.  The version designed to fit on a 4 GB card is 3.6 GB, and the version designed to fit on an 8 GB card is only slightly larger at 3.8 GB.  The "missing tiles" sufficient to give truly complete North American coverage (parts of Canada, quite sparse of data) might only take an additional gigabyte (likely much less), the entirety of Mexico might be an additional gigabyte and even the six countries of Central America could be included at another gigabyte or two at most.  It seems that North AND Central America could fit on an 8 GB card.

I really love and use these data in my trusty Garmin 60CSx (a champ after ten years of great service).  I get the .torrent version (and I seed!)  This sort of "closing the loop" (of editing OSM data, then actually USING them) are one of the greatest aspects of OSM.  I, and you, too can edit our own GPS map data with fresh updates every couple of weeks!  True, I don't travel to Nunavut or Quintana Roo (very often), but I might someday!

How about it, Dave?  Might we see a truly complete North (+ Central) American version fitting into 8 GB in the future?  Please?

Thank you,
SteveA
California