[Talk-us] Municipal Tree Survey

Rihards richlv at nakts.net
Mon Sep 19 16:13:04 UTC 2016

On 2016.09.19. 18:13, Adam Old wrote:
> Hello all, I am a fairly novice mapper, although I am learning quickly.
> This is my first post to talk-us, so let me know if this is the wrong
> place to ask these questions.
>
> I am currently sitting on a "Tree Board" in a small city in South
> Florida. One mandate of the board is to survey the existing tree canopy
> in an ongoing fashion and to provide recommendations for trimming,
> removal, or new plantings, to note diseases and damage, and to collect
> species information.
>
> I am a proponent of OpenStreetMap and crowdsourcing as much of the data
> collection as possible, as we are without much of a budget or staff. But
> I wonder whether this is an appropriate use for OSM, and if so, whether
> there are caveats or special things we should be thinking of. One of the
> other members of the board is an experienced GIS user, and he also likes
> the idea of using OSM.
>
> For the most part we would like to send people out using their mobile
> devices and an app like Go
> Map!! https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/go-map!!/id592990211?mt=8 or a
> paper survey form that we could then update OSM with. Hopefully this
> would introduce a good number of new people to OSM as mappers and/or
> users. We also were hoping to add some datapoints for the diameter_crown
> and height using LiDAR and aerial data. Any suggestions on this?
>
> There is some information that isn't standard for Tag:natural=tree that
> would be useful for us in this pursuit, for example whether the trees
> are damaged, need trimming, date of last trimming, etc. Maybe that is
> too specific to map and we shouldn't add that kind of data? If I were to
> add it, would I simply add my own tags? I would like to do this right.

that information is a bit specific, as you mentioned - but if you would
properly document how you are doing it, i think it would be an
interesting proof of concept project, and there would be no significant
harm with placing that data in osm.
in the worst case (hopefully never happening :) ), if the data is
abandoned, it should be easy to remove those tags for one city as being
outdated and becoming useless.

> Also, is there a map view with diameter_crown displayed as the actual size?
>
> Also also, is there any thinking on differentiating between palm trees
> and other broadleaved trees? Seems like a worthwhile distinction, here
> in the tropics.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:natural%3Dtree suggests tags like
'genus' and 'species' - those seem to cover your need well :)

--
  Rihards