[Talk-us] Bar vs Pub vs Restaurant in the US?

Rihards richlv at nakts.net
Fri Sep 30 09:13:15 UTC 2016

On 2016.09.30. 11:54, Andrew Wiseman wrote:
>     I think that you're all overthinking it, and trying to fit a
>     European square into a US circle. First of all, the US doesn't have
>     pubs, unless the owner is specifically trying to recreate the
>     atmosphere of a European pub (or at least what an Americans think a
>     European pub is). Doesn't matter if a European visiting the US would
>     think of the establishment as such, they just don't really exist
>     around here.
>
> If that's the case then the majority of places we call bars in the US
> should actually be tagged as "restaurant", no? Because a "bar" in OSM is
> a place without food. But I don't think that's right.

i've usually reasoned it like this :

* if it's a place you go to eat, it's either fast_food or restaurant,
choose one.
* if it's a place where you could get beer and food - with emphasis
being on beer - it's a pub
* if it's a place where you can get alcohol, with emphasis on non-beer,
and food being secondary, it's a bar

restaurant vs pub/bar - you wouldn't go to a restaurant just for the
drinks, usually.

> Andrew

 Rihards