[Talk-us] Bar vs Pub vs Restaurant in the US?

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Fri Sep 30 13:45:56 UTC 2016

Andrew Wiseman <awiseman at gmail.com> writes:

> On Thursday, September 29, 2016, Jeffrey Ollie <jeff at ocjtech.us> wrote:
>
>> I think that you're all overthinking it, and trying to fit a European
>> square into a US circle. First of all, the US doesn't have pubs, unless the
>> owner is specifically trying to recreate the atmosphere of a European pub
>> (or at least what an Americans think a European pub is). Doesn't matter if
>> a European visiting the US would think of the establishment as such, they
>> just don't really exist around here.
>
> If that's the case then the majority of places we call bars in the US
> should actually be tagged as "restaurant", no? Because a "bar" in OSM is a
> place without food. But I don't think that's right.

Part of the problem is that the original definitions of tags were
exactly the UK definitions, instead of them being extended to make sense
globally.  So I think things like amenity=bar have to bend a little to
cover places that are mainly focused on drinking other than beer, but
might have some food.  This preserves the spirit of the original
meaning, but expands it to things that are conceptually the same but
don't meet the strict definition.