[Talk-us] Sabotage or a really bad bot?

Charlotte Wolter techlady at techlady.com
Mon Apr 3 22:56:28 UTC 2017

Hello,

         Looks like, given Paul's information, that I just have to go in and
correct as many as I can.
         This is an occasional issue with TIGER data. Somehow, when an
address is located at the end of a driveway, especially long driveways,
the driveway is given the street name. It may be a thing with TIGER
software. Having worked on the Census, I know they create streets by
marking a GPS point for every address. So, somehow the processing of
the information they get, driveways become streets.
         I'll keep working on it.

--C

At 01:54 AM 4/3/2017, you wrote:
>On 2017.04.03. 04:26, Charlotte Wolter wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> >         I came across a really weird situation while doing a Maproulette
> > change.
> >         In Rustberg, a small town in rural Virginia
> > (http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit?editor=id#map=16/37.2772/-79.1011),
> > almost every driveway has been named after the street it intersects. In
> > addition, numerous very short "driveways" have been created, some of
> > which go nowhere.
> >         The edits all were done four years ago, it seems. Here is the
> > message about the edits: "Edited almost 4 years ago by bot-mode
> > Version #2 · Changeset #15805152."
> >         I removed most of the names and the "driveways" in town, but
> > they continued well out of town, and finally I gave up. Could someone
> > take a look at this and, perhaps, reverse the change set?
> >         Thanks
>
>the driveways, did you check with sat imagery ?
>were they at least near what looked like roads or not ?
>
> > Charlotte
> >

> > Charlotte Wolter
> > 927 18th Street Suite A
> > Santa Monica, California