[Talk-us] [HOT] iD issues?

Bryan Housel bryan at 7thposition.com
Thu Apr 20 15:36:20 UTC 2017

As far as I know, the issue is only with Chrome on Windows.. Firefox, IE, and Edge should be ok.
We’re tracking it here:  https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/issues/3805 <https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/issues/3805>

It’s very similar to another issue that I fixed in December, so I think I can probably get this fixed before the next iD release in a week or two.

The summary of this issue is - your browser generates lots of events for things like mouse button clicks and releases (mousedown and mouseup).  We use these to know whether you are clicking on things or dragging the map around.  Sometimes Chrome on Windows just loses the events - so we see a mousedown but not a mouseup, and the user is stuck mid-click while iD waits for an event that’s never going to happen.

The fix is to just add some code to watch for this condition. If we’re waiting for a mouseup and we detect another mousedown, we know that the browser “lost” the mouseup event and we should just carry on as if the user is clicking a thing for the first time.

Hope this is helpful.. I marked the issue as “priority” and I think I can get it fixed in the next week or so.

Thanks,
Bryan