[Talk-us] natural=* and landuse=* multipolygons at the urban interface

Steve Friedl steve at unixwiz.net
Sun Aug 13 23:34:00 UTC 2017

You’re referring to the Scrub From Hell.

I (user SJFriedl) have been mapping extensively in Orange County and (especially) in the Santa Ana Mountains and this thing is *everywhere*. Not patches here and there, but everything everywhere is part of one enormous scrub relation and it’s positively maddening.

Even if you’re not trying to fix the big problem you’re describing, just cleaning up a boundary somewhere by adding a few nodes runs over the limit for a way (6k-ish?) and *boom* now you have to deal with the big picture. Ugh.

At the time I was most interested/frustrated in this, I didn’t have nearly enough chops with relations to give it a go, but after I fully relationalized all the city boundaries in Orange County, I’m game. JOSM is great.

You’re right that splitting this up is the right approach, because I don’t believe having all this as one huge relation was every the right thing to do as I cannot see how the related-ness of all the scrub patches in a very wide area is useful information (the scrubs that are part of the relation are not any more “related” than standalone patches of scrub in the same area).

There for sure are legitimate agricultural lands in OC, but they’re mainly in the foothills of the mountains; I’d not expect to see much grazing in (say) Ladera Ranch.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who’s noticed this :-)

Steve – who lives in Tustin

---
Stephen J Friedl  | Security Consultant | UNIX Wizard | 714 345-4571
steve at unixwiz.net | Southern California | Windows Guy | unixwiz.net