[Talk-us] [OSM-talk] Redacting 75, 000 street names contributed by user chdr

Greg Morgan dr.kludge.gm at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 10:15:38 UTC 2017

On Sun, Aug 27, 2017 at 10:55 AM, Martijn van Exel <martijn at openstreetmap.us
> > wrote:
>
> Happy to help. All we'd need for MapRoulette is a list of locations and a
> proper description of the work we'd expect people to do. Anyone can create
> the challenge but I'd be happy to do it.
> Martijn

 Change set # 51502902

Here's what I did and the plan:

* I selected out Arizona USA.
* I used the magic of regular expressions to change the way id in the file
Frederik provided to a josm remote control command.
* The remote control command allowed me to load all the data into one
file.  I changed the name tag to chdr_USA_AZ_name_fixup_required.  The new
name creates a great search target.
* I made no other changes before uploading the changeset.
* I would expect that the DWG would redact the potential name issues from
all the prior versions.
* Next a MapRoulette challenge can be constructed with the
chdr_USA_AZ_name_fixup_required search target.  The challenge will be
localized to Arizona because of the name change.
* The Tiger 2015 layer will be a good source to use name correction in the
challenge.  Others without the Tiger name source will not be so lucky.

The questions and observations:
* chdr is the last modifier of 2980 out of 5696 ways, 52%. These ways would
appear like the first and last introduction of the potential damage.
* The highest way version on one example way was 24.  Does this mean that
the redaction would have to be performed in all the 24 revisions?
* I came in at 1685 out of 5969 ways, 30%.  Even though I can rationalize
and observe that chdr's street name matches the Tiger 2015 layer, I cannot
prove or disprove this. I'd rather make a proactive resolution to the issue
than wait for additional edits on these ways.
* It took a long time for the name change to complete in JOSM once the last
remote control command was issued.

DWG you are up. Please redact the name issue in the prior versions of the
ways in Change set # 51502902.

Once the DWG is finished, it would be great if Martijn could assist me
develop a MapRoulette challenge.

Regards,
Greg