[Talk-us] Contacting local mappers or posting a note to "mappers in area". How to. Etiquette. Horseshoe Bend, ID,

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Thu Aug 31 07:11:39 UTC 2017

The Mozilla service is fine for general location requests, such as ensuring
you're searching the right area for Yelp!.

Actually mapping towers is much harder.  Many rural Verizon towers
broadcast correct latitude and longitude.  For the rest
there's no location data, or fake location data.  A single physical tower
may support 1-4 carriers, and then for each
carrier 3-36 distinct radio signals on various bands.  The OpenCell and
Mozilla databases, along with OpenSignal and Sensorly, are rife with bonus
towers that don't really exist, and they're often not even close to the
proper location.  Collected data may skew
outside the center of the tower's actual footprint, or the footprint may be
uneven due to terrain or antenna strength tuning by the carrier (many tower
coverage areas are asymmetric on purpose).

To point a cell repeater or booster correctly, you want the exact location
of the target tower. That's where https://www.cellmapper.net/ comes in. The
other tools don't cut it.

Now the question at hand was not about cell towers. but rather "is there a
way to contact or post a message seen by mappers active in a certain
region".  Is there anything out there?  Would the OSM project benefit from
having such a mechanism?