[Talk-us] Potential vandalism in Northern California (Pokémon Go?)

dilys120 at gmail.com dilys120 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 17:49:31 UTC 2017

I'm not sure whether this has anything to do with Pokémon Go but a mapper
has been adding parks on top of existing boundary relations (National
Parks, National Forests, Wilderness Areas) in a systematic manner in
Northern California, creating quite a mess.

Just a few random examples:

Redwood National Park
original (relation): http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/215231/
duplicate on top of a section of the National Park:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/484286507/
duplicate on top of a section of the National Park:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/484864647/

Moreover, the mapper heavily edited the geometry of the administrative
boundary (relation 215231) and replaced the one corresponding to official
NPS GIS data.

Shasta-Trinity National Forest
original (relation): http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/70010/
duplicate on top of a section of the forest: http://www.openstreetmap.org/
way/487220873/
duplicate on top of a section of the forest: http://www.openstreetmap.org/
way/487078256/
more duplicates added here http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/47829109

Smith River National Recreation Area
original (relation): http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6213964/
duplicate: http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/486505179/

Del Norte Coast Redwoods State Park
original (relation): http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/184325/
duplicate: http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/484858125/

Six Rivers National Forest
original (relation): http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/2658152/
duplicate on top of a section of the forest: http://www.openstreetmap.org/
way/486617555/
duplicate on top of a section of the forest: http://www.openstreetmap.org/
way/487265473/
duplicate on top of a section of the forest: http://www.openstreetmap.org/
way/486002370/

Here too, the mapper heavily edited the geometry of the boundaries, for
example here at this cherry-stem through Siskiyou Wilderness (
https://osmlab.github.io/changeset-map/#47727624). The geometry of
administrative boundaries based on Forest Service GIS data is now replaced
by free-hand drawing.

... and many more.

These edits occurred about 8 months ago, obviously without anybody
noticing, or caring enough, which got me thinking ... As concerns
California I am an armchair mapper, stretching my self-imposed limits by
mapping there a while ago, and thus I would rather leave it to the local
community to organize the cleaning up.

Dilys