[Talk-us] Walmart Import

Ilya Zverev ilya at zverev.info
Thu Dec 21 09:12:58 UTC 2017

Hi Peter,

Thank you for suggestions.

First, the highlighted tag value is what goes into OSM. In your case, the import will keep the shop=department_store.

Regarding updates to opening_hours, you are suggesting I parse each opening_hours value and then compare these? It would be quite hard and in my opinion excessive. With the two values being equivalent, I don't how the data becomes worse. A few times I omitted "Mo-Su", I was being told it's better to specify the weekdays, so it is again a matter of opinion.

In your example, you override the definition for Monday, so it doesn't demonstrate anything besides how complex the opening_hours notation is.

The rest I answered in imports@, and some of it goes against what other community members suggest, so again I can conclude that is a matter of opinion and not important one way or another:

* URL is provided by Walmart and is much better than what we have. /whats-new can be fixed later, and does not really matter, because it still takes to a store page.
* addr:full is provided by Walmart and may be used to improve addressing where there are no addr:* tags. Sorry the importing script cannot do conditional tagging.
* operator was recommended by community members, and is a good tag to filter all Walmarts.
* ref:walmart will be used for updating the data. Ref may refer not only to a store, but to a building or another feature.

Please understand that this is not a one-off handcrafted import. We are working on a process for frictionless series of imports, with regular updates later on. I understand you have mapped a Walmart and feel protective of it. I felt the same a few years into OSM, because everything you add to the map is important. With this import, I believe it does not make the data worse. More attributes is not bad, even if some of these are redundant. The main thing is, until now there were zero mappers who care about keeping all the Walmart stores in OSM up-to-date, and after, there will be more. To me, that is a good thing.

Thanks,
Ilya