[Talk-us] Walmart Import

Peter Dobratz peter at dobratz.us
Thu Dec 28 19:48:03 UTC 2017

Hi Ilya,

This copnflation audit software tool is really good to allow multiple OSM
users to review the data before changes are made to OSM data.  I didn't
initially realize the amount of manual review of the data that is being
done prior to importing the data into OSM.

I've been reviewing a bunch of Walmarts using this tool and there will be a
lot of new good data being added to OSM through this process.  It seems
like people are generally preserving the choice of shop=supermarket or
shop=department_store and also name of "Walmart" or "Walmart Supercenter"
as the choice between the two is somewhat arbitrary.  Also, in many cases
the addr:full tag is being omitted if that same information is already
contained in existing addr:housenumber, addr:street, and addr:unit tags.

Peter