[Talk-us] highway=trunk for NHS routes?

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 13:09:36 UTC 2017

> Both appear to be well maintained in the photos; the width of paving
> greatly exceeds the two marked lanes. Out where "50 Miles to Next Gas"
> signs still live, this is a major road.
>
> US160 is the most significant road for literally miles. ‚Äč
> US180 is the tourist main feeder to the Grand Canyon . .
>
> I have just come across this NHS road that I know well: [1]
This is a winding mountain road, two lanes, many parts without shoulder.

I would like to bring the discussion back to my main argument. The property
of a road "belonging to the NHS network" is orthogonal (independent) to the
OSM road classifications
motorway|trunk|primary|seondary|tertiary|unclassified-residential
Being part of the NHS is not recognazable on the ground, and does not allow
to defer any useful property for data users (may be apart from the
smoothness of the surface, because generally speaking there is more funding
available for maintenance).
Let me turn the argument around:
NHS roads include roads that fall in many OSM categories, like motorway,
trunk, primary, secondary (like my last example), and possibly lower. If
you were to label all NHS roads as highway=trunk you would loose important
information for the data users.
The road property "belonging to the NHS" could be easily tagged by an
independent, additional tag, something like NHS=yes.

[1] https://www.mapillary.com/map/im/-aKb3CeiN_CzmglVqYyRzQ