[Talk-us] highway=trunk for NHS routes?

Mark Wagner mark+osm at carnildo.com
Sun Jan 1 21:40:03 UTC 2017

On Sat, 31 Dec 2016 12:22:04 -0500
Bill Ricker <bill.n1vux at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 31, 2016 at 4:21 AM, Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > You can find detailed PDF maps of all NHS Routes, state-by-state at
> > a web page of the Federal Highway Administration
> > ​[...]. On these maps you will find plenty of NHS roads that are
> > definitively not trunk roads.
> > Just two examples in Arizona:
> >

> I will agree isn't what could handle 'trunk' volume in a densely
> settled area in EU or NY.
> If we follow the physical description checklist rigidly, we'd conclude
> there are few trunk roads outside of metropolises.
>
> Both appear to be well maintained in the photos; the width of paving
> greatly exceeds the two marked lanes. Out where "50 Miles to Next Gas"
> signs still live, this is a major road.
>
> US160 is the most significant road for literally miles. ​
> US180 is the tourist main feeder to the Grand Canyon . .

WA-127 is on the NHS map.  You could call it "important" or
"significant" in the sense that it's part of the shortest route from
Walla Walla to Spokane, and the only bridge across the Snake River for
50 miles in either direction, but that doesn't make it important in any
absolute sense.  The state DOT estimates that it sees maybe 800
vehicles a day, and if it doesn't have a "Next gas: 65 miles" sign,
it's only because nobody bothered to put one up.

--
Mark