[Talk-us] Am I wrong to be bothered by this?

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Thu Jan 5 20:26:47 UTC 2017

I monitor a number of places I’ve done mapping in and suspect I’ll be back to in the future. Today I noticed a change set that covers nearly all of California and Nevada [1].  It looks like this same mapper has even done some changes that span continents [2].

I guess I prefer geographically compact change sets: It makes me feel that all the changes have actually been looked at. And, at least with how I use the OSM tools I know about, I can quickly take a look and see if I agree or not. In this case, I’ve found a few of the actual ways changed in my area of interest [3] and wonder why the street name was dropped from the way. I guess I need to dig through all the changed ways now and it would just be easier if the change set did not cover so large an area most of which I have no way of doing a site survey to verify.

Am I out of line to be annoyed when I see a change set like this one?

[1] https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/44914222
[2] https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Stephen214/history#map=2/44.7/-56.0
[3] https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/437522050/history