[Talk-us] Choptank River

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Mon Jan 16 14:08:53 UTC 2017

On Sunday 15 January 2017, Simon Poole wrote:

> Given that Washington is supposedly the global centre of mapping
> goodness, I hope we might be able to find somebody there that perhaps
> is interested in fixing the, I must say with 120km really far away,
> area a bit.

Note the phenomenon that we have well mapped urban centres immediately
next to extremely poorly mapped areas is something not specific to the
US at all.

My favorite example for this is usually Singapore where you can find
some extremely badly mapped areas less than 50km to the south:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=12/0.9099/103.8064

Often this has a lot to do with the fact that attraction of new mappers
usually is most efficient in urban centres and less so in rural areas.
And best mapping always comes from local mappers so for well mapped
rural areas you need rural mappers.

The difference in central Europe is not only that we have a much larger
number of active mappers compared to the population in total, we also
have much less contrast between urban and rural areas overall.

So I am not so sure if the advise to DC mappers to drive out to the
country to map is really a sustainable approach.  The better way might
be to think about making OSM more welcoming and more attractive to
rural communities.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/