[Talk-us] Choptank River

Elliott Plack elliott.plack at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 03:10:35 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I'm in the area, (Baltimore) and these Eastern Shore rivers have been on my
radar for quite a while. As you've probably observed, the super jagged PGS
coastline [1] Rivers look bad even at relatively small scales.

I've been working on some of the other areas with some other mappers, and
that whole peninsula needs work. Here's one nice looking area, Smith Island
[2] and another near the Blackwater Wildlife Refuge [3] (which has had a
lot of helpful mapping lately by others).

Best thing I've found is to drop some notes where it's appalling and hope
that a good Samaritan comes along and fixes them. Otherwise, it's usually
just me and one or two others using quick draw plugin in JOSM to attempt to
make short work of the tidal rivers.

I've also separated some of the rivers from coastline just to make the
coastline more manageable in this area.

[1] = https://db.tt/UwrMiSTwob
[2] = http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=14/37.9992/-76.0125
[3] = http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=14/38.4268/-75.9975

Elliott

On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 7:49 PM Greg Troxel <gdt at lexort.com> wrote:

> Simon Poole <simon at poole.ch> writes:

> >> Note the phenomenon that we have well mapped urban centres immediately
> >> next to extremely poorly mapped areas is something not specific to the
> >> US at all.
> >>
> >> My favorite example for this is usually Singapore where you can find
> >> some extremely badly mapped areas less than 50km to the south:
> > I wasn't aware that there were organisations in Singapore that are are
> > suggesting mapping everywhere except on your own doorstep, but thanks
> > for clarifying that.
>
> I feel like I am missing some humor and don't follow these comments.
> Around me, 120 km really is pretty far away, and the notion that cities
> have a few active mappers and areas with small populations do not is not
> surprising.

Elliott Plack
http://elliottplack.me