[Talk-us] Choptank River

Elliott Plack elliott.plack at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 04:13:44 UTC 2017

Thanks for the inspiration Simon. I spent some time today in JOSM improving
the accuracy of the Choptank. Here's the finished relation:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/1344442#map=11/38.7592/-76.0542

Notes

1. Previous editors had created about 10 relations that were adjacent. I
removed all of the relations but saved the raw lines and added it to this
relation.
2. I removed a lot of lines with jagged boundaries.
3. I used fast-draw at various scales so that the resulting river would
look nice and be a close approximation of the river.
4. I also added the Broad River, Harris Creek, and Tred Avon Rivers using
the same methods. These tidal rivers are near the mouth of the bay.

Next steps (anyone can help)

1. Improve the smaller tributaries.
2. Add the river centerlines for the tributaries if they do not already
exist.
3. Add the wetlands. (as you zoom out with the river selected, the "blue"
zones seem to be much wider than the actual river in places. Those areas
are big swamps.)
4. The rest of the eastern shore :)

Best,

Elliott