[Talk-us] U.S.-Mexico border fence update

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Mon Jan 23 23:35:31 UTC 2017

Michael,
Sharing your new work on GitHub would be a good start. The community could
look at the work and see how to best incorporate it into OSM.

(We could tag the existing fence as before_trump and if anything actually
gets built as by_trump. )

Clifford

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 2:13 PM, Michael Corey <mcorey at revealnews.org>
wrote:

> Hello:
>
> (Also posted in imports)
>
> Several years ago I did a lot of work adding sections of the U.S.-Mexico
> border fence to OSM. In light of the new U.S. president's intention to
> expand the fence/wall system, I have been updating that work for our
> news organization. We have now mapped the entire existing fence with
> significantly more official data and more information about individual
> segments.
>
> I would like to share this work back into OpenStreetMap, but it may be
> difficult to modify or sync up with my old work, since I have
> changed/added/subtracted significant features.
>
> Does anyone have thoughts on how to do this most efficiently and without
> causing major headaches? I would like to share the maps on both OSM and
> on Github, so I will need some kind of workflow to keep everything
> synced up.
>
> The current fence is captured by this relation:
>
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/2266294
>
> Any advice people have from past experience would be most welcome.
>
> Thanks much,
>

> --
>
> Michael Corey
> Senior News Applications Developer