[Talk-us] [Imports-us] OSM-Colorado Mappy Hour Denver Buildings Import Discussion

Mike Thompson miketho16 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 01:20:19 UTC 2017

Russ,

This is very exciting to see this coming along.  Let me know how I can
help. Hopefully we can use its success to convince other government bodies
in Colorado to allow us to import their data into OSM!  Here are a few
comments.

re: "The Denver Regional Council of Governments (DRCOG), in partnership
with local governments and public entities, has purchased detailed
infrastructure data..." - This makes it sound like they purchased a
commercial dataset, which raises questions about licensing in my mind.  I
suspect that what happened is they "contracted for the collection of
detailed infrastructure data..." In other words, it was work for hire, and
they own all rights to the data,. Therefore, as long as the right official
within DRCOG signs off, we are good (no third party vendor has any
ownership rights in the data and doesn't have to be consulted). If this is
in fact the case, someone may wish to change the wording.

"Tagging Plans", "OTHER_TAG" - does this contain any useful information we
can map to OSM tags?

re: "Building Roofprints (poly) - Stereo-compiled (3D)"
* Where applicable, are the buildings in the source data orthogonal (square
corners) - like we try to create in OSM?
* re "multi-level commercial/industrial buildings" I presume this means a
building that has multiple roof heights, not multiple levels/floors inside
the building. For example a building that has one section that is two
stories high and has a roof height of 20 feet, and another section that is
three stories high and has a roof height of 30 feet.
* re "multi-level commercial/industrial buildings" - consider relations to
group the various building parts together. [1]

A "parking structure" should probably be tagged:
amenity=parking
parking=multi-storey  [3]
(not sure it should get a building tag)

A "tank" should probably not be tagged as building=, but rather just
man_made=storage_tank [2]

Not all "medical" buildings will be hospitals.

Nothing is said about how the features other than buildings will be
imported.

Nothing is said about how the imported data will be conflated with the
existing OSM data (I see there is a place holder).

re "Merge Colorado Office of Information Technology (OIT) state address
layer..." - does this data have a ODbL compatible license?

Mike

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Simple_3D_buildings
[2] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Dstorage_tank
[3] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dparking