[Talk-us] Blue Ridge Parkway

Mike Thompson miketho16 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 22:24:34 UTC 2017

> Is our definition of national park different than Wikipedia's, or should
> one of the two be changed?

It is a "National Heritage Area"[1]which is under the jurisdiction of the
US National Park Service.  While it is not a "National Park" in the formal
U.S. sense it is a "national park" in the more generic, world wide sense (a
park administered by a national government). "A National Heritage Area is a
place designated by the United States Congress where natural, cultural,
historic, and recreational resources combine to form a cohesive, nationally
distinctive landscape arising from patterns of human activity shaped by
geography."[2]

There are many types of these units administered by the National Park
Service in the US (for example "National Military Parks" and "National
Monuments"), and I imagine each nation has its own types of units like
this.For example, Australia has "Nature Reserves"[3] If we create a
separate tag for each of these type, we would have not consistency across
the globe. A sub-tag in addition to boundary=national_park may be more
appropriate in my opinion rather than a entirely different tag.

Mike

[1] https://www.nps.gov/blrn/index.htm
[2] https://home.nps.gov/blrn/faqs.htm
[3] e.g.