[Talk-us] Directions as route relation roles

Albert Pundt roadsguy99 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 14:56:57 UTC 2017

The wiki page Highway Directions In The United States lists a method of
tagging directions in route relation roles that sets the role as the posted
direction of the way in OSM's forward direction. For single-carriageway
roads, this means that backwards is the opposite cardinal direction.
Presumably two-way roads carrying only one direction of a route (which only
exist in brief segments, but are common nationwide) are still given just
"forward" and "backward". Or would multiple values be used, e.g.
"north;forward"?

My question is whether this is actually commonly used. I haven't seen this
method used anywhere, but then again I haven't really looked either. How
widespread is this practice?