[Talk-us] Differences with USA admin_level tagging

OSM Volunteer stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Wed Jul 12 00:49:52 UTC 2017

We say a lot of things here at once.  Including remaining civil, partly honoring and respecting consensus.  And, that what is in our map is a form of consensus.  To call that hoary and grizzled because it contains TIGER, yes, but let's do so politely and afford it proper historical context.  We can also say (and it is part of OSM's DNA) that, plus "we can, do and will make it so much better."  Yes, let us chart that future, so we do.

Minh says (via the first draft of a US/Boundaries wiki):  "here is what the map says, in a friendly way."  The US_admin_level wiki says "here, we channel how we think our tags should be."  (And we have for some time with many voices).  This is emerging, messy and still being hammered out as "an" ideal goal, likely never will get to "the" ideal goal, because this is elusive in a pure hierarchy.  Yet we are getting "there", closer indeed, with lots going on.

It's OK.  Thanks for patience and civility, everybody.  We can state where we are (so we do).  We can state where we want to go (so we do).  It's OK.

SteveA
California