[Talk-us] Best practice in Lane Editing 3

Marc Gemis marc.gemis at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 20:02:37 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 10:14 PM, Eric Ladner <eric.ladner at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just to play Devil's advocate:  B is probably more TECHNICALLY correct since
> a solid white line indicates "lane change discouraged, but not illegal" and
> you'd probably want the routing software to indicate where the turn lane
> starts, not 200 feet later (esp. in heavy traffic and the lane's already
> full of cars).

In Belgium (and other European countries), it is illegal to cross a
solid white line under normal circumstances.

An OSM way represents a separate street, not a lane. When you start
representing lanes as ways, you break data consumers that count ways,
or that really need to know whether the physical divider is. Emergency
vehicles are not interested in solid white lines, but are interested
in physical dividers that they cannot cross.

For all those reasons, I will not map a separate way for a lane
separated by a solid line. I do hope that the  but routing apps should
start implementing change:lane, which is the proper way to map it
IMHO.

regards

(*) in some special case