[Talk-us] [OSM-talk] Decline in accuracy of capture date metadata in Bing imagery

Brian May bmay at mapwise.com
Thu Jul 27 04:23:00 UTC 2017

On 7/26/2017 4:05 PM, Kevin Kenny wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 10:48 AM, Bryan Housel <bryan at 7thposition.com> wrote:
>> 2. contact state GIS agencies for permission, if the website does not make
>> license clear
> I have contact information, which I'm not going to share here.
> A template for the letter requesting permission would be very helpful,
> since it's not immediately clear how to describe the intended use to
> an agency. It would be even more helpful to be able to have contact
> information for a resource person to answer any legal questions that
> the agency might have. Surely someone's done this before, for the
> specific case of a state's orthoimagery with this being the intended
> use!

As for legal use and permissions, always look to the state statutes that
specifies handling of public records requests. That is always going to
override anything at the county / local level. For example, in Florida,
the state statute says no agency within Florida can ask for the reason
of the request or even who is requesting the data (although it has to be
sent somewhere!). No agency can exert copyright, etc. Any exceptions are
spelled out in the statutes.

What would be great is a breakdown of each state listing any potential
restrictions spelled out in state statutes. The big restriction is
usually a state allowing a local agency (i.e. county) to exert copyright
over specific data. Some states have specifically targeted GIS data as
copyrightable by local agencies in an attempt at "cost recovery" for GIS
data. If there are no restrictions on data, then you are wasting time
asking for permission, etc at the local level.

Brian