[Talk-us] Pittsburgh neighborhood boundaries mapped with admin level 9?

Peter Dobratz peter at dobratz.us
Thu Jul 27 17:28:04 UTC 2017

(Appologies as I was in the middle of writing my reply when inadvertantly
hitting send.  Here's the whole message)

Boundaries below admin_level=8 are still being discussed.  There was some
discussion on this list as well as the OSM wiki

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:United_States_
admin_level#Nine_state_improvement

Having lived in Pittsburgh, I remember that the neighborhood boundaries are
well defined and many of the street signs have the neighborhood names
printed across the top of them (epecially on more major roads with bigger
signs).

If you were to divide up Pittsburgh into smaller administrative units, how
would you do it?

Pittsburgh resides within Allegheny County.  Allegheny County is divided
into Wards and districts, some of which could be used to divide up
Pittsburgh:
http://apps.alleghenycounty.us/website/MuniPgh.asp

Pittsburgh city council is made up of 9 people who each represent a council
district of the city.  It looks like each council district covers a group
of neighborhoods (that might lend itself to making the council districts
admin_level=9 and the neighborhoods admin_level=10).  For example, council
district 5 contains the neighborhoods, Hazelwood, Glen Hazel, Greenfield,
Hays, Lincoln Place, New Homestead, and Regeant Square
http://pittsburghpa.gov/district5/about

Pittsburgh is also divided up into 32 wards, each being divided further
into a variable number of districts each.  These wards and districts are
separate from the Allegheny County wards and districts.  I'm not sure how
the cities wards relate to the neighborhood boundaries.

Peter