[Talk-us] Mapping traffic signals and stop signs using MapRoulette

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Tue Jun 13 10:56:00 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 12:14 PM, Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.kenny+osm at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 11:35 AM, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org>
> wrote:
>
>> So we're ignoring that nodes don't inherit the directionality of the
>> underlying way?  Really sounds like you're trying to suggest using
>> direction=forward/backwards when a relation is what's actually needed.
>>

> There are already tens of thousands of STOP signs tagged with direction=*.
> The semantics don't imply that a node has a direction.

How does it not?  A node doesn't infer a way that it's attached to, though
a node may infer what nodes it crosses through.  This is why relations
became a thing, to model things that can't be inferred from the other two
primitive types, particularly for enforcement and turn restrictions.

> Have you even posted a proposal for the relation-based schema that you're
> advocating? You sent a link when we had this discussion before, but the
> link went to a page about traffic cameras that had no mention of STOP or
> GIVE WAY signs at all.

 I seem to recall there was an offer to put together the write-up out there
since my mediawiki-fu is rather awful.  If someone would like to help on
that, that'd be awesome.