[Talk-us] Best practice in Lane Editing 2

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Mon Jun 19 14:24:45 UTC 2017

> On Jun 19, 2017, at 4:20 AM, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:
>
> In this case, with the dual-direction turn lane, I would label that with lanes:both_ways=1 and turn:lanes:both_ways=left.  If the center lane has two solid lines (making it a flush median), then lanes:both_ways=1 and access:lanes:both_ways=no

My current practice matches Paul’s first case where it is a center turn lane (lanes:both_ways=1 and turn:lanes:both_ways=left). Perhaps that is tagging for the editor as the turn lane plug in for JOSM displays it nicely.

I haven’t settled on a tagging for when the center area is blocked by solid lines (legally meaning don’t cross), but an access tag would be reasonable. An alternative or addition to an access control could be using the proposed change:lanes tagging to show that one can’t change into or out of the center median area, but that would take more tags (change:lanes:forward=not_left, change:lanes:backward=not_left, and change:lanes:both_ways=no) and be less precise than access:lanes:both_ways=no.